Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sure people tell you to think. Let's face it. Everyone has had some one come to them one day, with or without a particular reason who's told 'em to 'think'. I have a question for all those thinkers out there. Make that a couple. First. What IS thinking? Second. How do u think? I'm not talking about the biological process here. I'm talking about people who seriously sit down and decide to think about a particular topic. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all my life, but to me, thinking is a process where I let myself float around from one brainless topic to another, kinda like tasting them, turning them around in my mind, till I find something sufficiently bizarre or funny to spend a nickel's worth of time and energy on it. Then I move on.
Next. Can you remember what you are thinking about all day long? I honestly, truly and most sincerely cannot. Especially when I have to answer questions like "WHAT ON EARTH WERE YOU THINKING?" All I'd like to say is, "obviously, I was thinking about something that made what I did (or was going to do , at the point of time in question) seem like a good idea. I mean, WHAT KINDA LAME QUESTION IS THAT, ANYWAY?

Besides, since no one taught me how to think, how can anyone blame me for not doing it often enough? More often than not, when I hear the phrase , "Think! Goddammitt! Think! Use your head!", I catch myself straining to picture myself using my head... Somehow, all I get, are multi-colored circles, spinning around in the dark vaccousness that is the inside of my head. Other times, even the circles and dots desert me for more fertile lands... Now is one of those times.

When I began, I thought I had a lot to say, now I'm not sure...
When I started out, I tried to think. Now, I've given up... Imagining is so much easier...


Although that gets me to another question. how does a deaf-mute think? Most people I know, and I don't know that many, are not deaf or mute, and think in sentences, in ideas, in words... So, another question. Naturally. Do thoughts have to be coded in language or language? Will it be the end of thought as we know it if people forgot to speak? I doubt that. Seriously. Next time someone says something, guess if they thought about what they said. In most cases, the thoughts in a person's head are private. Words and language are their passage to the public world. So I'm guessing, language may end if thought ceases, not the other way around. But the lack of a language need not mark the end of thought. There're always pictures, aren't there? If the Neanderthal Man could do it, surely the uber liberated 21st century metro/retro/homo/hetero-sexual man could do too... And if you're wondering if there's a pattern to all these words on this page, I'm not sure.. THIS is just an example of how my mind works. Ciao

3 comments:

Ridhi said...

WOW!!! gotta say my fav. post...thinking ABOUT thinking...i've been on that journey quite a few times...so i KNWO WHAT U MEAN!!!! i'm ok...but cant lie than i havent been A LOT better... but that's ok...i'll live anyways...gtg now n wokr...:-( so more later...LOVEEEEE

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.